Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Life as we know it

A few weeks ago Abby and I had another fun night at the sleep doctors. Luckily, she slept amazing, she feel asleep in my arms after getting hooked up and slept the rest of the night in the crib w/o waking up before 5 am. Don't ask me how that happened, considering she looked like this........... seriously, I believe in miracles. She has never slept that long at home. So I guess the solution to her not sleeping is to wrap her up in medical tape and stick wires all over her.

Her follow-up appointment was later that next week. I was nervous to say the least. Happily Abby doesn't have sleep apnea anymore!! Yes, I am happy, relieved, and less stressed. As I left the doctor knowing she was OK, I felt a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders. It was a very nice feeling. The study did show one minor problem with Abby's sleeping and that was periodic limb movement (not restless leg syndrome, this is different). It was a pretty easy fix compared to the apnea. The Dr. believed it was because Abby is anemic. We did a blood draw and found that to be true, she is now taking an iron supplement for the next few months to clear that up. But that is OK because she is able to get off her reflux medicine and her oxygen! It is so so great to put your baby to sleep w/o cords hanging off of her. I haven't been able to do this since her first month of life.

Other great news is that she is sleeping through the night now too. Now that I know she is OK and doesn't have tubes coming out of her crib I have let her cry it out at night and it only took two nights to get her sleeping through the night, this is another first for us! I have been getting up 1 to 4 times every night in the past 18 months. I got the best nights sleep ever last night! Amazing what straight sleep will do for a person.

This past week we also celebrated Ry's 4th B-day. My big kid is growing up! He had a blast. He ate 10 cupcakes (no I did not let him, I later found the evidence in empty wrappers) and ran around the house like a wild man all day! What fun it was. He got an enormous Cars/Lightning McQueen blanket and pillow which he loves as do I because it is big enough for both of us to snuggle in. One of his favorite things to do is snuggle with someone while watching Curious George.


We took him to Chuck E Cheese for his birthday. I'm not sure who had more fun, Ry or Mark and I. We loved the corner with all the sports games. It was a lot of fun. Abby even had a blast throwing the balls and shooting the water gun game. We also celebrated with family, Ry loves his cousins. They are his favorite friends.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that your little Abby is doing better. And I can hardly believe you have a 4-year-old! Wow where have the years gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for no sleep apnea!!! Good for Abby! Yea for a good nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Abby is doing so much better. Time for some sleep for mommy!
    I made Will almost the exact same cake for his birthday. Thomas is very popular around here.
    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad things are getting better!

    ReplyDelete