Sunday, June 6, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend



This past Monday was Memorial Day, in the past I have always treated it as a 'day off' filled with yard work, house work, and BBQs. To my recollection I've never visited a grave site on memorial day, this weekend was different.



My father-in-law passed away earlier this year. We live on the same block as the cemetery where he is buried. We visited him everyday Friday-Monday. My son Ry LOVES visiting grandpa! Every time we pass the entrance, he asks to go see him, most of the time we go in for a visit. He knows where he is at, as he says, "Grandpa is with Jesus." Yes he is.



The cemetery was beautiful. It was filled with different colored flowers left on graves by loved ones. Looking out from his graveside there is an open field, the field was filled with (give or take) 200 American flags blowing in the wind. It was breathtaking. Chuck/Dad/Grandpa, was an amazing person, so humble yet strong. He was so kind to me, he always asked me how Mark was treating me. Of coarse, the answer was always great, then he would get a smile on his face and nod his head in approvement.

The rest of the week has been pretty same ole' same ole'. Every time I hear my phone ring, I rush to see if it is Abby's GI doctor calling to let me know they have an appointment time that has opened up. This has yet to happen. She is on the waiting list to get in early. This doctor is amazing, she helped heal Ry's stomach troubles, but man is she hard to get into at first. We are talking months of waiting. Mark and I have joked that with the next baby as soon as we get the little one home we will call her and make an appointment just so we can get it!! It's a joke, but I really just may do it!

Mark's brother and his family were headed home to UT from CA and their car broke down. Mark and his other brother went to go pick them up in Vegas, but of coarse both our kids are sick. Ry has had a temp of 102 and Abby has a small fever, but is fussy. Both kids didn't sleep well at all, but besides that I'm grateful Mark was able to help out his brother.

Kids will say the darnedest things........We gave Ry Tylenol to help with the fever and the second time I gave it to him he giggles and says really excitedly...."I like this medicine, it makes me happy." I noticed he was sick when after his nap he just layed on the floor for 30 min without moving, that is not Ry at all! After the Tylenol kicks in he is running around 'happily' on his way. I can tell when it is wearing off because he is back on the floor not moving much. As a mother I am grateful for medicine, it would be tough to handle sick kids without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment